I can't believe I remembered to stop my watch. Should've run faster.

Mar 26, 2009

Stop: Dubai time.

Monday, 23 March
Flying to Dubai. I actually didn't get too bored, although partly because I am becoming addicted to poker on my ipod. I guess it's good I have no money or internet access to play for reals. Dave is a good poker teacher! I can't wait to play with him again when I get back.

Tuesday, 24 March
It's becoming apparent that I will not be running in Dubai. Not only is the weather and air quality dismal, but there is hardly any open space whatsoever. And, even if there were, I don't think I would feel comfortable going out (alone) in my running shorts, and even if I did, I think getting lost here would be very, very bad.

So, I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I can catch up on my training when I get back. I'm just going to enjoy stuffing myself at every opportunity with delicious, delicious food and enjoy my expanding bod.

In other news, I think I'm going to do the 1500 at PP invite, just for fun. I will probably run badly (out of shape, rusty with racing, jetlag). But then again, Megumi always says the best races sometimes come when there's no pressure and you're just having fun. I'm planning on going all by feel and trying to race as much as possible - a mental exercise!

Wednesday, 25 March
Things I have done so far:
shopping - bought a cute Indian outfit to wear out with Vibha's family. The shop owner thought I was too thin. Good thing I've been stuffing myself constantly.
malls - there are tons of malls here that are massive, including the...
Emirates mall - we went to see indoor snow and skiing, it was freaking insane... I did tobogganing on this rickety bobsled thing and I could not believe how dangerous it was. That of course made it really fun. The valet outside featured a Bentley, Lamborghini, 2 Ferraris, a Porsche...
Dubai Museum - this just convinced me it's insane that people live in this crazy-inhospitable desert.
Watched an Indian movie (Aloo Chaat) which was fun, because the subtitles turned out to be in Arabic, and so Vibha had to translate for me. Very cute.
Went to an Indian cultural event at the Laljani's club. Very cute (dancing mostly).
Discovered Atlantis - the hotel, that is. It's the giant one on the man-made island shaped like a palm frond. It made Vegas hotels look like a rural Maine B&B.
Bollywood clubbing (we were the best dancers.)
smoked shisha in an Arabic restaurant
Played Ellen for Vibha (helped her buy a whole bunch of new clothes).
Went for chaat (snacks, see below...)

Eating Log:
Overall eating with my fingers is improving, but I have lots of trouble with liquidy things (palak paneer, and anything with peas...) stuff here is really oily, even the stuff that isn't fried, but it's hard to keep the portions under control, because everyone is trying to stuff you constantly. I like how all the food here is really packed with different flavors; food at home is going to seem real bland when I get back.

chapatis - I'm getting better at making these, I need more practice though
cabbage fry (amazing)
bindi aloo "ladyfingers" (type of okra) with potatoes (such a good flavor, way better then southern fried okra) (bindi = okra, aloo = potato)
gajar ki sabji - there was a savory carrot dish that was super, duper rico and amazing.
kadhai chicken - creamy chicken curry (mild) the chicken was so tender and the sauce was sweet and delish. Only made in a special kind of pot (kadhai = special kind of wok with a round bottom)
dates - we got these as a mall snack. Some were honeyed, some were covered in chocolate or caramel, some were with nuts... all were devoured.
imli (tamarind) fries - these were actually made from potatoes, but flavored with tamarind and served with onions, green onions, tomatoes.... very very flavorful, like a punch in the tongue
dahi puris - tiny puris, but filled with yogurt and boondi (chickpea flour but fried), spices, parsley garnish, tamarind chutney
Arabic food - shaorma (chicken) and hummus, familiar tasting but better than average for sure.
We also had an Arabic quesadilla thing which was really interesting, the cheese was fluffy and the bread was kind of like a crepe.
pani puris - tiny puffy puris filled with lentils and boondi, into which you spoon mint water and spicy tamarind right before you pop it into your mouth. yum.
kachori - deep fried bread kind of like the stuff around samosas, covered with beans, spicyness, and lentils, then covered in spicy tamarind and mint chutney. this definitely got my nose running...
raj kachori - this time you take a full-size puri, put bhalla (from cooked yogurt) inside, then aloo (potatoes), then lentils, then cover in mint chutney and tamarind, then fill bowl with yogurt and cover in boondi and crunchy bits. this thing was my mount everest - so freaking huge but SO delicious. it was spicy, sweet, and creamy all at the same time in perfect proportions, while also being warm (from the lentils, etc) and cool (yogurt), and crunchy (puri) and soft (potatoes, yogurt). mmmmmm.

desserts -
gajar (carrot) ka halwa... amazingly delish (carrots are very different from ours though)
rasagolla- this actually was not very flavorful. From Bengal - kind of a bland, fluffy gulab jamun.
kaju katri - cashew based flakey treat, covered in silver foil. this is one of vibha's favorites. it is delicate and creamy and has a great texture.
petha - candied gourd, very sweet!
ras malai - sweet milk with soft cheese, pitstachios, almonds. very delicate tasting.
kulfi - ice cream made by reducing milk to a thick syrup (similar tasting to sweetened condensed milk) and adding saffron, pitsachio, almonds, green cardamom. It was really satisfying and perfect after something spicy.

Also we have been drinking fantastic delicious chai... it is so simple yet so elusive to make. My mouth waters when I think about it and when I wake up in the morning I feel so lucky that I am about to drink it (Vibha's mom is serving us like queens).

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Oh my greatest dream ever!! Living with an Indian Family who wants to feed me constantly!!

PS I have other values than actually getting you to purchase clothing 2x a year.