I can't believe I remembered to stop my watch. Should've run faster.

Oct 22, 2008

Multi-duals

(Monday, 13 October)

We did an easy run down by the Gilbaugh's. I'm pretty conscious right now of how many miles we've been doing, and how school's started and everything, so I'm going to try and do a little mini-taper this week and see if it helps folks race a little fresher on Saturday. Part of it may be that my own legs are a little tired from last week, but hopefully that's not just an excuse.

(Tuesday, 14 October)
5x800 with 2 minutes rest at Lacy. (We used Ian and Mark's loop). I really need to roll that thing! It went pretty well, although I was surprised at how hard 3.10s felt (I guess I haven't really been doing that much fast stuff). I felt pretty good though.

(Wednesday, 15 October)
I biked a bit with Best in the gym and talked cs1 with her. We are a full-service coaching staff!

(Thursday, 16 October)
AM: 5-4-3-2-1 with the group at Lacy. A nice compact workout! tried to push the pace a bit in the beginning so the peeps didn't go out too slow. The sprint barely happened for me, but what's the point of that, anyways? I'm glad to push them a little in the beginning. Sometimes these kiddos have no idea how fast they are!

PM: Same thing in the afternoon but this time just with me and Best. I was trying to figure it out so that I wouldn't have to run the whole thing with her (like by cutting off little loops in Lacy) but then there was an XC race there. So... we had to go do it on the median, which meant that I had to do the whole thing! (shakes fist). Oh well, I felt pretty good.

(Friday, 17 October)
Prerace. Taking it easy.

(Saturday, 18 October)
Multi-duals. I was going to run hard on the course but I didn't feel up to it when I got there. I guess maybe I was worried that my time was going to suck? I did a warmup with Anton and Chief and even that felt hard. I was excited to cheer everyone on but I actually don't think I was very encouraging or even as present on the course as I would have liked to be. (Part of this was I helped out in the finish so I wasn't trotting around for very long).

The plan for the top 3 to run together didn't pan out (they were separated within 200m, no joke). This was probably a failure of coaching as much as anything else; I didn't have them practice it in workouts, so it didn't work in the race. I will have to work on this. Sylvia and Best, on the other hand, ran stellar races. So I was pleased.

In other news, it was interesting and inspiring to see Avery Kelly out there again. This is a person who in 2006 won multis by a minute and a half and ran 21.53 at the Stanford invite, when she looked like this:

I remember one of her teammates talking about how she did double days every day and aquajogged to cross train, and all she ate was "cheerios, soymilk, and watermelon", and then kind of rolled her eyes like, "isn't she weird?". And I thought, "can't you see she's sick?"

In 2007 her times (and dominance) faded a bit and many remarked on how unhealthy she looked. I recall being able to see her IT bands clearly.

This year she's back and looking better than ever. I barely recognized her on the line, but when I saw her signature running form I knew it was her. The only thing that was different was her times.

We may never know what happened to her exactly, although we can diagnose her all we want with eating disorders or compulsive exercise problems. I just think it shows a lot about her personality thta she's stuck with running, even though her times must be incredibly disappointing after how fast she's been in the past (not to mention that it more than likely contributed to her weight problems.) It must take guts to toe the line at a race you once won by 90 seconds and then run 3.30 slower than your PR.

And before you get on my case about being all shmoopy, I will mention that she's still a jerk. She snapped at me in the finishing chute in classic Kelly form. But hey, I'll give her a break this time. It must be hard to be slow(er) for once in her life.

What do you guys think? Is it a good idea that she run again? Should her coach have let her go on like she did for so long? Is it possible that they really didn't think there was anything wrong?

(Sunday, 19 October)
I rode the new Waterford down to the Rio Hondo and then up across the dam. For the first hour or so I was riding a bit harder with a guy named Matt who knew Peter (we ran into each other at CA and Rosemead. He had a blue Cervelo and was a tri-guy.) Then, I bumped into Al and rode the rest of the ride with him, really easy. I like the bike, and i think it will be ready to trot with the bars adjusted a little. Al encouraged me to submit a concept to the city council about the Rosebowl. I just might do it!

No comments: